Monday 17 August 2015

Motivating Academic Achievements by Hearing Impaired Past Students of Rotary KDN Shruti School

At the Independence Day Celebrations at Rotary KDN Shruti School for Hearing Impaired (Juhu, Mumbai), three former students of the school were felicitated for achieving excellent performance at the last HSC Exams by Dr.Ramesh Oza, Audiologist & Speech Therapist, Hon.Director of the Institution and Past President of Rotary Club of Bombay West.  This over 40 year old school is established and managed by Rotary Club of Bombay West.

Chinmay Joshi passed his HSC in Science with 76%.  He stood First in Maharashtra in composite score (JEE + HSC) of 89.95% in ‘Physically Handicapped’ (PH) category.  Earlier, he had scored 93% at SSC Exams.  He is currently pursuing Computer Engineering and aims to be an expert in the field.  Speaking to the students, parents and the Rotarians after accepting the Appreciation Certificate from Dr.Oza, Chinmay said…”I came across many obstacles….I thought sometimes since I was differently-abled, I was no good.  But I didn’t give up… instead I resolved to show to the world my unique skills and worked hard with support from my teachers and my mom.”  He motivated the students by saying….”never give up, keep going, connect to as many people as possible, learn from their experiences and knowledge, explore new ideas.”

Chinmay’s twin brother, Aditya Joshi too has hearing impairment since childhood.  Despite all odds, he too has performed well at the HSC  Exams scoring 81%.  He is pursuing B.Com.  Earlier, at the SSC Exams, he had scored 93%.  Speaking on the sidelines of the function, Aditya recalled how he was treated by his fellow students when they came to know about his handicap.  “That’s the time I decided to prove and show my true skills and abilities by taking part in extra-curricular activities.  I won several sports medals and also a bronze medal at International Informatics Olympiad. I even passed elementary and intermediate drawing competition.”  Aditya had a few words of advice for the students of Shruti School….”you are unique and have the potential to do things what people say you can’t. Be around with good people, know oneself better, listen to your own voice. Nothing can stop you from going ahead and achieving your dreams and goals.”

Fighting against all odds, Nidhi Kotian scored 89.85% at HSC and stood first in Maharashtra in PH category. She also qualified for JEE Advanced (IIT). At SSC, she had scored 96.36% and was a topper in her school in the special category.  Her mantra was studying for 10 hours daily with frequent breaks for walk or music for relaxation.  She gives credit for her achievements to the support from teachers at school/college and her parents.  “Due to my hearing problems, it was difficult for me to grasp concepts in class.  The college arranged doubt-solving sessions for me, which helped me understand what was being taught.”  She is presently studying Computer Science Engineering at a college in Mumbai.


The achievements of all these three students have been reported in several mainline newspapers including The Times of India, DNA and Hindustan Times.  Rotary Club of Bombay West is truly proud of their achievements and wishes them all the success in life.

- Rtn.Aslam S. Merchant

No comments:

Post a Comment